Wednesday 15 March 2017

TEACHING THE STRUGGLING LEARNERS TO READ WITH WORD FAMILIES (OR PHONOGRAMS )TECHNIQUE.

Salam readers. 

Having to teach the year 1 students on reading English is one difficult task especially when your students are the Malay-speaking students.

Being provided by textbook and activity books is an advantage but at a certain point, it could be a restriction. In my honest opinion, the emphasized words introduced in the textbook are not really suitable in the sense that they are giving the students a hard time to understand the relation in terms of phonemes arrangements between the words.

For examples, in the English Year 1 Textbook (2017),Unit 3, the words given under the /s/ phoneme are sun, snail, soup, soap, shine and etc.

The students could identify the /s/ phoneme but to read those words will be difficult to them since the sounds of the letters that follow after the /s/ phoneme are different. Teaching a child to read through the vowel first, then add on the last sound can be counterproductive and lead to confusion. The students need to sound out every letter. This is slow and breaks up the flow of the words, making it hard to figure out the meaning.

Based on some readings that I've made, I found out that the teaching of reading through WORD FAMILIES could help the students to apply decoding skills to unknown words. When learning families of words, children are able to read familiar patterns of letters quickly and fluently. Word family patterns help children's spelling. They are able to recognize spelling patterns and apply these to other words of the same family.

For instances, in the words “pat”, “mat” and rat, the students will learn to identify the “at” sound as chunk, instead of needing to sound out the letters individually.

I realised that I need to do something for my students instead of solely depending my teaching on textbook. Therefore, I develop a very simple reading module which I think will be effective to my students based on the word families’ technique and I am sharing to all of you here in my blog.

The words stated in my module wouldn’t be hundred percent from the textbook but they are selected based on what I feel suitable to my students.







*The pdf version will be at the end of this post.

* The dot and arrows are as the guidance for the students to read words. Refer to the video below.























ANDDD ONE LAST THING......

Would really appreciate if you could



1. Print this out


2.Take your picture with i love teacherfiera.com and the materials taken from this blog in your classroom, English room, etc

3. Email your picture to  teacherfiera2u@gmail.com

I'll feature you on my blog.



TQ so much.



16 comments:

  1. Proud of you teacher fiera.. thanks for the module.. smoge Allah merahmati kamu.. dear friend..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tqvm for sharing the module. May Allah bless u and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most welcome =). Tq so much for your kind prayer. ameenn

      Delete
  3. TQ Tc. Fiera. May Allah reward your kindness and ease your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tq ticer Fiera. It's really help me to teach yr 1 for the fist time..may Allah ease your life..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to print and use this for my kids and myself.
    mohon halalkan. Semoga dirahmati selalu ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely halal all the materials here as long as it is for the use of teaching and learning English and not for monetary gains. Most welcome and thank you for your kind prayer...ameenn

      Delete
  6. I want to use this for my special pupils..Tq tcr Fiza..you're great..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. All the best to you.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you, Teacher Fiera. Teaching them the single sounds would be difficult for them. I prefer this method too. Much easier. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how wonderful and helpful.. thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete